SURFACE SUPPLIED AIR DIVER
This 3 or 4 day program (depending on the number of students) takes a previously certified open water diver and moves them forward to learn the skills to safely use Surface Supplied Diving Equipment. The diver gains all of the knowledge necessary to safely perform commercial harvesting using surface supplied equipment. Each diver will complete 2 SCUBA dives on the first day, using recreational SCUBA equipment, to ensure comfort in the water. These two dives will also certify the student in Nitrox and Drysuit diving. The following days include learning about SSA equipment, SSA safety drills, conducting dry runs on land, and then moving on to 4 SSA dives in the water. The class sizes are kept small so that each student gets specialized attention.
- Drysuit Diver certification
- NItrox Diver Certification
- CPR / Oxygen / First Aid / AED designed specifically for commercial divers (SDI)
- Kirby Morgan Band Mask Operator / User Program (DiveLab)
Subjects / experiences covered during our intensive course:
- Proper use and maintenance of a drysuit
- Knowledge in Nitrox diving using surface supplied equipment
- Dive computer operation
- Divers use the Kirby Morgan Band Mask and learn the proper user maintenance techniques
- Dive Theory review: Decompression, physics, physiology and equipment
- 2 Open Water dives to refresh basic equipment skills and diving techniques
- Minimum of 4 surface supplied air dives: drills, skills, safety, rigging, communications
- Emphasis placed on dive emergencies involving a commercial harvester
- Surface Tender experience helping dress and tend at least 4 divers
The following prerequisites must be met to attend this course:
- Certified as an Open Water diver from a nationally recognized training agency
- Student MUST supply their own DRYSUIT – Contact us for special pricing. If bought through Hoodsport’N Dive the suit and fit are warrantied throughout the program.
- If a student brings their own DRYSUIT they are responsible for proper operation. A course will not be delayed or re-scheduled in the event the student enters the program with a faulty or ill fitting suit. Please advise Hoodsport’N Dive if you plan on supplying your own suit.
- 18 years of age
- Diving medical approval
- Physically fit